A journal

Thanks for visiting me at Experiment MOM (Mother of Multiples). My digital Scrap for Hire business, ScraPicts, is coming soon so please check back with me again or Click the Follow Me button on lefthand side of my blog.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Upcycled Challenge: Cereal box to Treasure box #freefromtrash

Yep I did 2 crafts today, although this one, well, isn't SO inspired.  Using a cereal box and turning it into - wait for it - a box.  But I thought I could use it for a coupon box or other storage that is fairly light because cereal boxes are just not sturdy in general.  Kids might find cute uses for it, like for their treasures.  I had a grand idea to try to paint the inside top of the box with chalkboard paint but I didn't know how the light cardboard would stand up to the pain so I nixed that idea.  Also just FYI, I DO NOT feed my children Cap'n Crunch.  I bought them for another food experiment which may or may not make it to the blog.  We'll see.

Ok here goes: Cereal box to a Treasure box
1. Find a cereal box (probably in your recycle bin)
2. Secure all sides with packing tape to add some stability
3. With scissors or knife, open up three sides (two short and one long) of the large flat side of the box. Trim frayed edges
4. Cover with wrapping paper or scrapbook paper or even newspaper if you are ultra-recycle-y (yes that is a word)
5. I didn't do this but you could add a toggle closure with some twine or yarn and a leftover pants button or the like.



Like I said, this box won't hold a lot of weight so it's good for light papers such as coupons or pictures or whatnot.  Also is a good size to store your kid's artwork if they are at that age.

This post is part of the Upcycled Crafting Challenge (#freefromtrash) hosted by Calley, The Eco Chic, and is part of a one month challenge to create from trash.  This challenge will hopefully open your eyes to the number of items that we still end up trashing every day that could be used by ourselves or our kids to create fun and useful items.  To find out more about the challenge and to see other projects click on over to Calley’s announcement post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...